Sunday, October 17, 2004

Halloween came early this year...

So going to Becky's cousin's Halloween party last night was a very enlightening experience and sad all at the same time. It was weird being hit on by strangers, especially when my Halloween costume wasn't very provocative at all... jeans, t-shirt, blazer, oh yeah and a big star over my eye... I was Jem (of Jem and the Rockers cartoon fame)! Becky was a fabulous Frida, I'll have to post a picture when I get them developed. Melissa, Becky's cousin, is an amazing make-up artist. My costume would've been much lamer if she hadn't put some make-up on me!

Anyway, it's funny to listen to people's pick up lines and list of impressive accomplishments for you and/or others around you. Especially a group of guys who were proudest of the fact that they were from Saginaw, aka "the Plano of Tarrant County." It was ridiculous! I felt like I was watching it all from a third party kind of view, like I was part of some sort of social experiment. And it was really disheartening at times. It seemed like most people came there to make themselves feel good, to fill them up with something that was missing, but ended up meeting people just like themselves... and so they just use each other to make themselves feel good for a little while, or use the alcohol to forget about their lives. I can understand the allure of that, but I also see how dangerous that can be and how unhealthy avoiding reality is. It's amazing the things we do to make ourselves feel better and to give ourselves purpose.

I did have a good time talking to people. It was amazing how many people I got to know pretty well just from standing there and listening... people just pour out their stories without much prompting. I wish I could take care of all of them because they were such nice caring people, but I'm not what they need. I almost wish I had a videocamera to capture what they had to say and the underlying things they didn't say... it would make a good Generation X documentary or something! I had a great time and met some really cool people, and I wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought I'd be (most of the time). Plus I met a British guy, Jason, who's supposed to be giving me a list of the all the must-sees of London when Kim and I go in March! I love accents!

I got a chance to debut my first song-writing attempt. I brought my guitar to play it for Becky (and it sort of went with my costume!) but somehow a few other people ended up finding us and listening, which made me nervous! But luckily, they were really nice and didn't throw pumpkins or boo! One guy, Eric, was really encouraging about the whole song-writing thing. I'm glad I got up enough courage to play it because it's really hard to gauge your own stuff. I think that's the allure of being a back-up singer... I should work on trying that out! Anybody need a back-up singer?! One of my favorite moments was singing "Time After Time" and "Breathe" with Eric and Becky and some other random kids who wandered in. It made me realize I need to expand my guitar repertoire!

I did stay up way too late, but I was surpisingly alert after almost everyone left or was asleep. I cleaned up some, played my guitar and then drove home. I love driving on the highway at odd hours of the day/night. I always wonder what all the other people on the road are driving toward or away from, what their circumstance is. I think I've covered every topic in the blog title... I've raved, rambled and talked crazy! I guess that means that this post is complete! I need to get motivated and study, I'm such a slacker!

2 Comments:

Blogger James Hooten said...

Interesting...very interesting.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

well, nothing compares...nothing compares...to you. Sorry, got caught up in the moment. What I meant to say, was that nothing can compare to our halloween party last year. Divas!!

You go girl...one of these days we'll be back up singers together. Yay!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home